Christmas is just a week away and that means children everywhere are anxiously waiting to see what they’ll find under the tree. Though toy related injuries have decreased in the past few years due to government mandated safeguards, there are safety precautions parents and care givers should keep in mind in regards to children’s toys.
- Always choose appropriate toys for the age of the child. Toys with small parts or small balls can cause choking and should NOT be given to children under 3.
- Use safety gear when using sports related and ride-on toys. (Bicycles, skates, scooters, etc.) Make sure helmets are worn properly and fit the child.
- Be aware of surroundings. Avoid playing with ride-on toys near automobile traffic, pools, & ponds. Avoid playing in areas such as kitchens and bathrooms and in rooms with chorded window blinds.
- Balloons can cause a hazard for small children. Deflated balloons can cause choking or suffocation. Keep deflated balloons away from children and discard broken balloons at once.
- For children under 6, avoid toys with small magnets. If swallowed serious injuries and/or death can occur.
- After the gifts are opened immediately discard plastic wrappings or other packaging on toys.
The Seltzer Group with locations in Schuylkill Haven, Orwigsburg, and Pottsville, Pennsylvania, serves businesses and individuals locally, regionally, and on the national level. The Seltzer Group is a proud member of the Keystone Insurers Group.