Stress Management- Facts & Tips
Stress is tension you feel when faced with a new, unpleasant or threatening situation. Stress is an automatic physical reaction to a danger or demand. When the body is under stress: muscles tighten, blood pressure rises, the heart speeds up and extra adrenaline rushes through your system.
How does stress affect you?
Unless you take the steps to relax, tension builds up inside your body. Over a long period of time, this build-up tension can affect your health, possibly contributing to:
– high blood pressure
– heart attack
– other health problems
Some physical signs of stress are:
– cold hands and feet
– muscle tension
– lack of energy
Stress can affect your thinking and also takes its toll on emotional well-being. It drains vital energy and can make you cranky and irritable. Stress can attack your self-esteen and lessen positive feelings of self-worth. Unless you take the time to relax and “recharge your batteries”, stress can make it harder to relate to people in ways you would like to.
Some psychological signs of stress are:
– changes in sleeping, eating or sexual habits
– mood changes
– increased use of alcohol and other drugs
Tips to reduce stress:
- Get at least 150 minutes of moderate – or 75 minutes of vigorous physical activity each week.
- Try to spread your activity throughout the week, getting at least 10 minutes at a time.
- Do muscle strengthening exercises at least 2 days each week.
- Choose an activity that appeals to you!
- Practice deep breathing- one of the most effective techniques for reducing stress. Take a break, relax your arms and shoulders, slowly exhale and inhale.
- Make time for hobbies- doing something you really enjoy and doing it regularly can help you reduce stress.
For more information about The Seltzer Group visit us online or call 1-888-366-1000.
The Seltzer Group with locations in Schuylkill Haven, Orwigsburg, and Pottsville, Pennsylvania, serves businesses and individuals locally, regionally, and on the national level. The Seltzer Group is a proud member of the Keystone Insurers Group.