Source: Safety Daily Advisor
Flu season is officially here. Whether you took our advice in October about getting a flu shot or not, it’s still good to know the facts about seasonal flu. Knowing how to prevent and treat the flu is important for you, your family, your employees, etc. to stay healthy through the winter months.
Here are the facts about the flu:
– Flu is primarily spread through the air when infected people cough or sneeze.
– It can also be transmitted by touching objects that an infected people have had contact with. The virus can get on an individual’s hands when they cough or sneeze, and it is then transferred to things they touch.
- To avoid becoming infected in this way do not touch your nose, mouth or eyes after you shake hands with or touch something an infected person has touched.
- Wash your hand regularly.
– Some flu viruses can live on surfaces such as door knobs, phones, computer keyboards, counters, etc. for several hours.
– People infected with the flu can be contagious beginning 1 day before symptoms develop and for 5-7 days after becoming infected. Children may pass the virus on for even longer than 7 days.
– Some people may be infected but exhibit no symptoms. These individuals are still contagious.
– The symptoms of the flu can include: fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. Some people may also have vomiting and diarrhea.
– Antiviral drugs are used to treat the illness. They are not available over-the-counter and can reduce symptoms as well as the length of the illness. They can also prevent serious flu complications.
– Those who are extremely sick (hospitalized) or people who are at an increased risk such as pregnant women, young children, people with chronic health conditions and people 65 and older should seek treatment with in two days of infection to avoid serious flu complications.
For more information visit us online or call 1-888-366-1000.
The Seltzer Group with locations in Schuylkill Haven, Orwigsburg, and Pottsville, Pennsylvania, serves businesses and individuals locally, regionally, and on the national level. The Seltzer Group is a proud member of the Keystone Insurers Group.