The facts about motorcycle crashes:
– In 2009 there were 3,736 motorcycle wrecks inPennsylvania. 3677 people were injured/ 204 were killed.
– Motorcycle riders are 35% more likely to die in a crash than people in cars.
– Riders who wear helmets are 3 times more likely to survive head injuries from a crash.
– 70% of all motorcycle fatalities occur on undivided highways.
– Speeding riders were more severely injured in crashes than those who weren’t speeding.
– Half of all fatal crashes show alcohol involvement.
Motorcycle safety is important to keep in mind whether you ride or not. If you’re not a motorcycle rider be aware of those who might be around you. Motorcycle accidents offer occur because car drivers just “don’t see” the motorcycle, causing a collision- or they might pull out in front of a rider causing them to lose control of the bike.
For motorcyclists here are a few tips to keep you safe on the road:
– Check your bike: tire pressure, tread depth, hand and foot breaks, headlights and signal indicators, and fluid levels.
– Wear proper protection:
- Wear a helmet that meets the U.S. Department of Transportation standards
- Arms and legs should be covered- ideally leather or heavy denim
- Wear boots that go above the ankles
- Wear gloves- gives you grip and protection in the event of an accident
– Obey traffic laws- proceed cautiously through intersections and when changing lanes
– Never drink or use drugs and ride!
The Seltzer Group, located inEastern Pennsylvania, specializes in developing safety, workers compensation, human resources, claims, and risk financing programs. They are a proud member of the Keystone Insurers Group and are nationally recognized for their expertise in workers compensation solutions. The Seltzer Group serves businesses and individuals locally, regionally, and on the national level.
Want to learn more? Visit our Events Page to see a full list of The Seltzer Group’s educational programs. We’re always adding new topics and programs so check back often!