Electronic I-9 Final rule
The Seltzer Group, located in Orwigsburg, Schuylkill Haven and Pottsville, are providing you with up-to-date information regarding the latest rules on I-9’s. For more information on our services, please contact our office at 877-801-5115 or visit our website at www.seltzergrp.com.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has issued their final rule on “Electronic Signature and Storage of Form I-9”. This final rule permits employers to complete, sign, scan and store the Form I-9 electronically as long as certain performance standards set forth in the final rule for the electronic filing system are met.
DHS noted that the final rule makes minor modifications to the interim final rule to clarify that employers:
- Must complete a Form I-9 within three business – not calendar – days
- May use paper, electronic systems or a combination of paper and electronic systems.
- May change electronic storage systems as long as the systems meet the performance requirements of the regulations.
- Need not retain audit trails for each time a Form I-9 is viewed electronically, but only when the Form I-9 is created, completed, updated, modified, altered or corrected.
- May provide or transmit a confirmation of a Form I-9 transaction but are required to do so unless the employee requests a copy.
For more information, please visit the DHS website www.dhs.gov. The final rule takes effect August 23, 2010.