This summer vacationers from all over the country will choose camping as a way to take a break from their day to day life. Camping provides the perfect opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors and reconnect with loved ones. Though it can be a great experience, safety should be kept in mind. The following are tips to safe camping.
– Make sure you get there with plenty of daylight to set up your campsite.
– Build campfires in a contained area to prevent the fire from spreading.
– Wear layers of clothing allowing you to adjust for changes in temperature.
– It’s a good idea to wear long pants to protect from plants and insects.
– Store food properly- keep cold food cold and hot food hot.
– Make sure you have safe drinking water.
– Don’t hike alone or after dark.
– Keep scented items like shampoos, deodorants and dish soap away from your campsite. Bears can be attracted to these items as well as food and even clothes you cook in. Do not sleep in clothes you cooked in.
For more tips on safe camping visit: www.campsafe.org
Want to learn more? Visit our events page to see a full list of The Seltzer Group’s educational programs. We’re always adding new topics and programs so check back often!
The Seltzer Group with locations in Schuylkill Haven, Orwigsburg, and Pottsville, Pennsylvania, serves businesses and individuals locally, regionally, and on the national level. The Seltzer Group is a proud member of the Keystone Insurers Group.