Summer is in full swing and for a lot of people that means summer water activities such as boating. It’s important to keep safety in mind whenever you’re using a watercraft.
Here are a few tips to safe boating:
– Know the local weather conditions before you go. If the forecast doesn’t look good, don’t go on the water and if you notice dark clouds, strong winds and temperature drops- get off the water.
– Make sure you have enough fuel for your entire trip.
– Make a plan and let someone else know where you’re going to be and for how long.
– Make sure you have a Coast Guard Approved working fire extinguisher and warning flares.
– Do not operate a boat while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
– Make sure you have the right personal floatation device- In Pennsylvania all children 12 years and under must wear a life jacket on any boat 20 feet or less and on all canoes and kayaks.
For more information about Pennsylvania Boating Laws visit the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission.